This position will work alongside a team of designers, developers, and content creators and strategists to manage (primarily) web development projects (primarily) on WordPress in an agency environment for our clients. Most website builds are informational/marketing website builds, however these websites also host a healthy mix of other web tools and ecommerce functionality in particular. The project manager position will be expected to juggle a handful of projects at once balancing priority and timeline to deliver projects within scope, on time and on budget.
We’re looking for someone who brings a collaborative mindset to project management, advocating for the client’s best interests in a project, while looking out for their team at the same time. You’ll be the liaison between the client and the development team, translating client’s requests into actionable deliverables for the team, including assisting in the process of scoping out projects and providing estimates for quotes.
We are a small but growing team and do not follow a prescribed project management methodology. Our approach is loosely inspired by “agile” methodologies, but with most projects being relatively small in scope (a few hundred hours), we keep things simple and practical. If you have a preferred methodology, we’d love to hear about how you can help us improve our processes.
What We Do:
We specialize in taking on our clients’ business goals and creating custom solutions, from design and copywriting to development. Clients come to us because they’ve tried the in-house or off the shelf solution and found it wanting. When they’re ready for a web presence that is purpose-built for their business needs, they come to us.
The Right Person for this Job:
- Is a problem solver: Always thinking outside of the box to come up with solutions that address the core problem, while balancing considerations of timeline and cost.
- Cares about quality: Our brand is reflected in our work, and making our work product live up to the hype should be a point of personal pride.
- Focuses on User Experience: Is always thinking not just about the client’s goals, but the client’s end-user’s goals so that the solutions we deliver accomplish their objectives.
- Understands that “the perfect is the enemy of the good”: Is able to make judgment calls about when the cost of a solution outweighs the benefits. Sometimes good enough is good enough.
- Asks for Help: Everyone here supports each other in their roles, sharing our expertise so that each of us gets the benefit of our cross-disciplinary team.
- Experience managing web development projects in an agency environment, preferably working with WordPress projects including e-commerce (read: WooCommerce) and custom theme development.
- Capable translating customer requirements into technical specifications that a development team can execute on.
- Ability to seamlessly transition from client work in one industry to another, or across entire verticals including B2B, B2C, and non-profit work.
- Comfortable working on projects with defined scope, budget, and timeline, in a fast-paced team environment while managing client expectations.
- Able to provide dev-team with UI/UX feedback and advocate for the client’s goals throughout the development process.
- Comfortable performing basic quality-control review of work for cross-browser, cross-device compatibility as well as mobile and accessibility concerns.
- Working with Account Managers on project specs before we quote, to ensure that the commitments we’re making to our clients are realistic for the team to deliver, both in terms of timeline and hours invested.
- Coordinate project kickoff meetings to make sure that all team members get the assets required for their jobs and that roles, assignments, and deadlines are clearly communicated.
- Create tasks in project management software and organize in terms of priority to manage each team member’s weekly schedule across the projects for which they are responsible.
- Provide ongoing review and feedback of deliverables as they are completed, gathering requirements, giving UI/UX input as a user advocate, confirming completion of deliverables, and obtaining client approval of completed work, or additional feedback and revisions.
- Provide consulting on sitemap and content needs to help organize the process of identifying needs and gathering assets for input on sites as they are built out.
- Oversee site launches and provide post-launch site support and client training on CMS tools and other site functions.
- Act as primary point of contact for clients, taking in support requests and nurturing the inception of new projects and work when opportunities arise, assisting in growing the accounts.
- 3-5+ years of experience working with web development and/or marketing agencies and clients including teams of designers, developers, and content creators and strategists.
- Capable of holding your own in a client meeting: Communication skills are a must, including the discipline to maintain professionalism while listening, responding, and remaining proactive with suggestions/solutions
- Knowledge of web analytics, CMS architecture (specifically WordPress/WooCommerce), hosting environments (Pantheon, LiquidWeb, CloudFlare), basic web IT, 301 redirects, etc… a must.
- Comfortable working remotely with limited supervision and able to respond to constructively-critical feedback in a collaborative manner.
We are a small, tight knit company designing and developing custom websites, and implementing content-marketing campaigns from brand positioning to the strategic deployment of creative deliverables.
Remote Position – Part-Time Contract:
We are looking for someone with experience contracting and comfortable with the pace of intermittent part-time work. As we have more hours there is the possibility of steady part-time or full-time employment, but this is not necessarily the desired end-goal. We want to make arrangements that are a good fit for our mutual needs and lifestyles.
Why Work Here:
We provide a flexible schedule and working arrangements. Full time remote work is something that we accommodated even before the pandemic, and it’s an arrangement that we’re very comfortable with.
We sincerely believe in work/life balance, and creating relationships both with clients and employees that are built for the long-term. While we want our hours to be flexible, we also don’t expect or pressure our team to work evenings or weekends. We don’t want you checking your email at night, we want you to come back refreshed and rested every day.
We are focused on providing an environment where employees are learning and growing everyday. Having a cross-disciplinary team and a wide range of clients and projects means there’s always something new to learn and opportunities to level up your professional skills and experience.
We value autonomy. We want each employee to have ownership over their work, and we want to get out of the way so you can focus on doing your best work.
We are a diverse, inclusive, workplace. All races, sexes, genders, and orientations are welcome.
build/create studios is a website design, development, and marketing company based in Ann Arbor Michigan since 2010. We work with a wide range of businesses and organizations to develop websites that solve problems and drive success. This covers anything from designing and developing websites, to helping clients execute on a marketing campaign from the conceptual stages of brand-strategy, all the way through the deployment of creative deliverables.
We are currently a small team of 8-10 people. Our company culture is casual, friendly, and you’ll be part of a tight-knit team that gets direct exposure to client-work. You’ll be doing projects where you can see the impact of your work and get quick feedback to continually improve the project you work on and grow your own skills and experience over the long haul.
If you’re working here, you’re always learning, tackling new challenges, and developing as a professional – and you’re working with a team that cares about doing the same.